Friday, November 18, 2011

DJ and double digits

DJ turned TEN on November 10th! So hard to believe. I really wanted to make his birthday special this year. I kept going through different big ideas, getting disappointed when each plan wouldn't seem to work. Then we finally decided to make it a special family day.

Tom took the day off from work, we declared NO SCHOOL, and we focused the day on making DJ feel special. I was surprised when at the end of the day, DJ said this was his best birthday ever. I'm so glad. I need to remember that. It doesn't have to be over-the-top to be special.

DJ wanted a World War II theme. Yes, you read that right. I think we have a history buff in the making. He woke up to a special gift from his best friend Isaac, who recently PCS'd to California. We had a pancake breakfast and then headed off to the World War II museum in Catania. This museum was really well-done. We had the whole place to ourselves on Thursday morning and had a fun time exploring. Then back at home, DJ had fun opening presents throughout the day and playing with them. At night, we had cake, Big Al's pizza, popcorn, and watched a War documentary.

Happy 10th birthday, DJ!!! You are one special kid. You have so many gifts, passions, and talents, we're always wondering what God has in store for you. I remember hearing Uncle Paul say in one of his sermons, "Do something so big that it has to be done with God in it." I think of you as I remember that saying. I imagine big things in your future, but the most important thing is for you to grow up knowing how much God loves you, and how much you love Him. I hope you don't ever forget that. You are a blessing to us and your brothers. We love you!






In the simulated bomb shelter. It was powerful.
* * *



Noah just realized he could see himself in these things. Lincoln joined his big brother in making silly faces. This is one of Noah's hobbies.
* * *

Hey wait a second, I thought you said no school today!!!
This was a highlight for me.
Even though DJ said "YAY, no school!" this is what he wanted to do for his birthday.
Little does he know, his day was full of learning!
* * *

Max wants to learn too!
* * *









A box full of grenades! What can be better than that?
* * *


Noah picked this out just for DJ.
* * *

In the afternoon of his birthday, Tom took DJ to get his first military id.
The kids have to be 10 in order to get one.
* * *

2 comments:

Jeanie said...

You are such an amazing Mom Carey! It warms my heart every time I get to read your blog. Thanks for sharing your lives with us!!

Jeanie said...

And Tom is pretty special too for taking the day off to spend with his family!! What an awesome museum.