Saturday, August 8, 2009

Italians and babies

Who is this lady holding my baby, you ask?  I'm not sure.  All I can say is that our 7 month old, Lincoln, is getting more attention from the Italians than he does from his own parents.  They stare as we walk by, take him from my arms, hold him, kiss his face, pinch his chubby legs, and even take his picture.  Yes, strangers, as I use to call them in the states.  We'd probably panic if strange, older men were taking pictures of our baby with their cell phones or if women we never met were grabbing our baby from our arms, but this happens ALL the time when we're out in town.  

We love this difference.  It's really a special thing to experience.  The other day we stopped to get gas, and there were three young Italian guys, probably in their early 20s, and they couldn't get enough of Lincoln.  They competed with each other to get his attention and to make him smile.  In the states, guys their age wouldn't look twice at a baby, but not in Sicily.  I've even been able to enjoy a meal at a cafe while another table full of Italians (whom I've never met before) held Lincoln.  

And not to forget our two older boys, the Italians will hug and kiss them as well.  Not so sure DJ and Noah appreciate it as much as we do.            

2 comments:

Jewels said...

Oh my gosh! I feel like you are talking about my husbands family. They kiss, hug, bite, pinch and squeeze all the babies. Funny how those 20 something guys were giving Lincoln so much attention. Frank is super affectionate and involved with Gianna and his nieces and nephews. To answer your questions he is from Palermo - well his grandparents are. He is born and raised here in CA. Sadly enough he has never been to Italy. I know crazy - but I have. We hope to one day have enough money and that are kids are old enough so we can take a trip there. we have family and houses we can stay in.

The Paudlers said...

That's funny, Julie. Lincoln hasn't been bitten yet. I say yet, because it wouldn't surprise me if they'd bite him too! I hope you are able to travel to Sicily as a family someday.