Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Learning to make pizzas





We went to a restaurant in one of the mountain towns of Mt. Etna last night.  They were very sweet to let DJ and Noah help with making their own pizzas.  They love our boys.  

At first, I was confused at how much the Italians love children yet we see very few Italians actually with children.  Several locals explained to me that they don't get married until they're in their 30s.  They live at home with their parents until they get married.  Sicily is a very poor country and with the troubles in the economy, they either do not have children or have only 1 or 2.  At least that's what several Italians have told me.  Another local said that Sicily is a dying country.  They have more people dying than being born.  When we walk through town with our three little boys, we get lots of stares and smiles.  

I love learning about this country and it's people.  I'm reading a good book called The Stone Boudoir - Travels Through the Hidden Villages of Sicily if anyone is interested.  I'm having a hard time putting it down.  It's probably more interesting to me since we live here, but I think it's well-written and it received great reviews.  

No comments: